Breakfast. Dishes. Laundry. Lunch. Dishes. Laundry. Clean up messes. Make dinner. Dishes. Laundry. Go to bed.
Get up next day. Repeat.
Does this sound like your life?
Yep, we’re right there with ya.
So how can we get through all the mundane tasks of the day?
Find something—even a little thing—to do for fun each day.
Need some ideas? How about . . .
1. Turn on crazy loud music and have a family dance party for 10 minutes.
2. Take 15 minutes and play follow-the-leader around the house. Make sure each child gets to be the leader.
3. Take all the blankets, pillows and chairs you can find and build one big, bad fort.
4. Tell a different joke each hour, on the hour. (Note: if you have homeschoolers, you’ll need to have many more jokes on hand than if your kids are gone all day.)
5. Give each child a plate of toothpicks and marshmallows. See what creations you can all make together.
6. Snuggle up under a blanket and watch a favorite TV show together.
7. Have a family slumber party in the living room complete with a Disney flick and popcorn.
8. Play charades. Always good for a laugh.
9. Have a jelly bean hunt. This is a favorite in our house. Or if you don’t want to encourage the candy aspect, make up a scavenger hunt.
10. “Try not to smile at each other” game. This will make you laugh every time.
Whatever you choose to do doesn’t need to be hard or detailed or take a lot of planning. The point is to put a smile on your face every day. The days get long and boring and downright dull if you don’t find a way to put some fun in your step.
A happy heart makes light work.
If all else fails and the dishes still pile up—invite your family to do dishes with you and see who is better at a soap suds war!